Last week we finally wrapped up 2022, a chaotic year by any metric. Since this week has been relatively slow (for me, as I did not attend CES), and in the interest of keeping things lighthearted, let’s talk about what we’re going to do as gamers in 2023. I’ll start — here are the things I plan to do this year to better myself as a gamer and writer.
First resolution: I will attempt to work my way through at least my 2022 backlog. If you read my list last week, you know there are multiple 2022 titles I didn’t get the chance to play. But last year I also had pesky personal things to do like get married, which cut down on possible game time. So this year, let’s see if we can’t chisel off more of that to finally play The Mortuary Assistant. Okay, I’m joking, but seriously, I don’t like missing major games. It cuts down on my literacy as a games writer and gives me FOMO.
Second resolution: I am going to try and be a more social gamer this year. It’s time to finally step from the pandemic hidey-hole. I shall attempt to post more about what I’m playing on social media and I’ll also try to stream. I shall also — shiver — attempt to play more multiplayer titles. I love the gaming community. It’s how I met the other half of the aforementioned marriage. So I would like to quash my mortification and enjoy some gamer company again.
That’s all I’ve got (at least as far as gaming goes), but if anyone else is making game-related resolutions, feel free to drop me a line on Twitter. Might as well get started on the second resolution right away.
On a (more) personal note, I’m already making some headway on building my games list for 2023. I know of at least one new game that launched on New Year’s Day. MDNA Games, the makers of the Carol Reed series (one of the indie-est of indie games), released its newest entry: The Game Maker. I don’t expect everyone to enjoy its style of gameplay, but it’s started my year off on a good note so far.
What to play this week
- We Are the Caretakers
- The Game Maker: A Carol Reed Mystery
New on subscription services:
- Iris Fall (Xbox Gold)
- Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (PlayStation Plus)
- Axiom Verge 2 (PlayStation Plus)
- Fallout 76 (PlayStation Plus)
- The Evil Within 2 (Prime Gaming)
- Faraway 2 (Prime Gaming)
- Breathedge (Prime Gaming)
- Beat Cop (Prime Gaming)
- Chicken Police — Paint it RED! (Prime Gaming)
- Lawn Mowing Simulator (Prime Gaming)
- Beach Buggy Racing 2: Hot Wheels Edition (Luna Prime)
- The Jackbox Party Pack 2 (Luna Prime)
- Monster Truck Championship (Luna Prime)
- Lumines Remastered (Luna Prime)
- Scott Pilgrim vs. The World: The Game Complete Edition (GeForce Now)
- Carrier Command 2 (GeForce Now)
- Project Hospital (GeForce Now)
- Portal with RTX (GeForce Now)
- Severed Steel (GeForce Now)
- Episode XOXO (Apple Arcade)
GamesBeat’s creed when covering the game industry is “where passion meets business.” What does this mean? We want to tell you how the news matters to you — not just as a decision-maker at a game studio, but also as a fan of games. Whether you read our articles, listen to our podcasts, or watch our videos, GamesBeat will help you learn about the industry and enjoy engaging with it. Discover our Briefings.